Young Composer Project National Conference 2019
Are you a composer?
Would you like to have your composition performed at a national event?
Will you be aged 16-20 by September 2019?
ASME is calling for submissions of compositions from eligible students to be considered for the 2019 ASME National Conference Young Composer Project.
- Must be for any combination of the following instruments: Piano, Clarinet, Percussion, Violin
- Should be approximately 5 – 6 minutes in length.
- Can be any genre
In 2019, each chapter of the Australian Society for Music Education (ASME) may select ONE Young Composer who will be invited to attend the ASME XXII National Conference in October to be held in Perth. Each ASME chapter will fund the airfare, accommodation and student conference registration for ONE state selected Young Composer.
At the conference a special programme is provided and the Young Composers will be involved in workshops with professional composer James Ledger. The selected students’ works will also be performed at the conference concert by the Conservatorium of Music professional chamber ensemble, ‘Intercurrent’.
The ASME Young Composers Project offers the participants:
- Networking with other young composers at a national level
- The opportunity to work with, and be mentored by, an established and notable composer (James Ledger)
- A unique opportunity that does not exist elsewhere: working with a selected ensemble and the Composer-in-Residence
To enter you must:
- Be aged between 16 and 20 years at the time of the National Conference in October 2019.
- Have composed the submitted work whilst at high school.
- Submit a composition. The submission must include:
- A printed paper copy of the score and all parts (Sibelius software preferred)
- A recording of the composition (available with the use of Sibelius and if available, a live recording– mp3)
- A written statement of no more than 500 words reflecting on the intention, process and outcome of the work and a short biography of composer
- Contact Details of Composer: Name, DOB, Address, Email, Phone contact number, name of Guardian (if under 18)
- Submissions sent to ASME Chapter of each state where selection of ONE composer will be determined. Each chapter will then forward the selected composer’s submission to ASME (WA)
Submissions Close: Friday 10 May 2019 (Chapters)
For further information please contact:
The Young Composer Project is a biennial project that is an important aspect of the Australian Society of Music Education’s national conference.